Monday, July 25, 2011

Career Change!!!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

It was two years ago this summer, that a dear friend of mine approached me with the words, "you may want to consider where God is calling you..."  I remember giggling and saying, "Ha...I have, He has called me to teaching."  I've wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in first grade!  I've ALWAYS known what my life would look like.  The good Lord must have gotten a good laugh with that one!!! He's been knocking on my door ever since!

In January 2010, the seed that had been planted the summer before, was beginning to take root.  A part time children's ministry position at my church had opened.  I accepted this position and began working on Sunday mornings.  By March I had been offered the possibility of more hours at the church, beginning that summer.  Therefore, I decided to take a half time sabbatical from my teaching position to seek the ministry field.  This past fall, I went part-time, teaching morning kindergarten AND part-time in Children's Ministry at Sonrise.  I was so excited about the opportunities that layahead.  However, last August, my hours at the church were increased from 10 to 25 hours per week.  Although I was technically part-time in two places, I was really doing two full time jobs at one time.  By November, it was obvious to my family that I just simply couldn't keep up with both positions AND maintain being a healthy mom and wife. 

My faith muscles were stretched greatly during this season.  I was in deep prayer for several weeks and truly  felt God calling me to ministry.  Although I felt the calling, the peace wasn't evident...the timing just didn't seem right for several reasons.  I began to really struggle though...why would God open this door to close it so quickly?!?!?!?!  My heart was broken when I resigned my position in Children's Ministry at Sonrise in December of 2010.  Many people people had told me that if God was truly calling me to ministry, He would open another door.  So, I began to dive back into teaching and focusing on my health issues.  My God was in control the entire time...why did I doubt Him?????  Sheesh!!!  My great God knew that I needed these past several months to focus on my health concerns and get things under control.  My great God knew that I was going to be taking care of my son whom would be quite sick.  My great God also knew that my husband would be leaving for six weeks and that I just simply would not have been able to hold things together if I would have been working full time then.  Wow...I am the child of a Great God!!!

So, here we are...present day.  A few weeks ago, I receive a surprise email from a friend that his church was in need of a full time Children's Pastor.  My first reaction was nope...I can't open my heart up that way again but as the days went on, the Holy Spirit began working on me again.  There were so many things that were falling in place this time.  I felt that the Lord was just hitting me over the head with a big 2X4 board!!!  The sermon yesterday, "When God calls you to ministry, Just Do It!"  So, I HAVE!!!!  I resigned my teaching position of 15 years this morning.  I feel complete peace with this decision.  I then signed my new employee agreement with Emmanuel Community Church this afternoon in Children's Ministry.  My heart is happy... I'm honored and blessed to be invited to work alongside this team of pastors. 

As Jesus was going down the road, he saw Matthew sitting at his tax-collection booth.  "Come, be my disciple." Jesus said to him.  So Matthew got up and followed him.
Matthew 9:9

Just think! Though I did nothing to deserve it, and though I am the least deserving Christian there is, I was chosen for this special joy of telling the Gentiles about the endless treasures available to them in Christ.
Ephesians 3:8

Dear Lord, I'm drawing on Your power and faithfully accepting this special role that You have placed in my path...amen

2 comments: