Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Nicaragua Journal Entry Day #6... El Porvenir


Encouragement note for today...
Allow God to use you today to be a reflection of His love.          
(a pocket mirror was enclosed!)

May the Lord bless you and keep you.  May the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you.  May the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.   Numbers 6:24-26

Yes, dear Lord, protect, shine, and provide peace upon me as we head out to delouse(delice) the community today. I'm feeling a bit uneasy but have trust in you.  Anna has told us to think of this service like the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet.  
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.  
John 13: 12-17

Yet again, God had all the details figured out... Amazed? No!  In Awe? Yes!!!  As we arrived with our hats on our heads for this community project, Anna assigned three people to start the delousing.  My first thought was... oh goodness... grateful that it wasn't me to be the one starting this!  Did I just admit that?!?!?! Then, in walks the beautiful Aurora, the lady that blessed my day yesterday.  I immediately jumped up and kicked Uncle Chris out of his spot.  I wanted nothing more than to love on this woman!  She sees me and beams with a smile and says my name.  I began lathering her long hair with the help of Bryce.  Aurora told us how good it felt :)  We smiled and laughed together again.  Once we were done, I knelt to her side and thanked her for allowing me to bless her in this way.  I was truly moved to tears... my heart was completely transformed.  I was reminded of Jesus' words to the disciples, "you know these things - now do them!  That is the path of blessing."  After this blessing, we washed the hair of Aurora's sister and a few others.  I can honestly say it was hard to let others jump in.  I could have deloused all day long!!!

Our time came to an end and we headed once again to the feeding station for our last lunch in El Porvenir.  We ate lunch and played with the kids one final time.  We then gathered the teachers and children to gift them with all the balls, jump ropes, frisbees, etc.  Excitement was certainly evident on the faces of all.
We are ONE!!!
It was now time to tell Wilberth good-bye.  Greta came with me to translate.  I told him that he was special to God, he should stay in school and keep learning, he should obey his father, we will write often, we will pray for him often, and we love him!  He has a special place in my heart!  I snuggled him up with hugs, gave him tickles to lighten the moment, and gave him kisses to remember always!  






I saw his father watching us from the dirt path.  I took Greta's hand and we ran to him.  I told him many of the things that I told Wilberth, particularly that he is a good dad.  

As I walked away the tears were like a waterfall.  I pray that I will be on this soil again someday.  My heart will be leaving El Porvenir with a lot more love tucked inside!



Lord, I pray that I "reflected" your light today.  Please show your favor on this community and give them peace.  


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your feelings about the de-losing and how God turned your feelings of dread and fear into one of joy in serving. You truly reflected God's love in your service to Aurora and others in the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De-lousing...auto correct didn't like that word any more than you did at the beginning of your day!

      Delete