Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mommy Date #3 - with Braydon!

It was finally Braydon's turn!  His only request..."Mom, please don't tell people that we are going on a date, just tell them we are hanging out!"  Yep, he's growing up!  This day/evening of "hanging out" was truly fabulous...

We began our date with the purchase of his new shoes.  My 10 year old needed size 10.5...can you believe that?!?!?!!?!  He towers over kids his age...his feet are now bigger than mine!  He is growing up way too fast!  He was thrilled with his choice of shoes and put them on once we got into the car :) 

Then, off to dinner we went!  We ate at the new Quaker Steak and Lube...Braydon was in heaven!  We had eaten at this restaurant chain a few times before so he was truly looking forward to the one in Fort Wayne opening up.  We were seated upstairs...oh so cool!  He took pictures and a video on my phone so that he could go home and show "the brothers and daddy what the inside looked like."  Braydon was trying to be all grown up by trying something new on the menu.  He ordered the mild wings but decided that he wasn't a fan of the wings.  I was proud of him for trying! 
The conversation during our meal was a bit more difficult to digest than my food, to say the least.  As I asked the same questions as my other boys about their upcoming new school, "what are you most nervous about and most excited about?"  Braydon's response...with sad eyes..."Mom, I'm nervous about everything and I'm excited about nothing...I really don't want to go to a new school."  My heart was heavy...he has been really excited about this transition throughout the entire summer...It wasn't until registration that his feelings changed.  He knows three boys that attend Haverhill and they were all placed in the same classroom and he was placed in a class that he new not one person.  Ugh!  So, here we go...the difficult lesson that I struggle with EVERY day..."Honey, I know this isn't going the way that WE would have wanted but God is in control.  There IS a reason for this placement and although we may not understand, we must have faith that there is a reason.  This transition can be positive if we choose.  It is all about our attitude and trust in the Lord."  I know mom, he says...I'm trying. 

We then hurried off to meet the family at Haverhill Elementary for Rylan's Kindergarten Open House.  We all had fun helping Rylan complete a scavenger hunt by finding all of the special places in his new classroom!  The big boys also wanted to show Jeff their new classrooms as well...it was a nice evening for everyone.  Then, Braydon and I continued "hanging out" together! 

We headed to Target to purchase his remaining school supplies.  He also was able to spend his hard earned money from selling water and chips at my TeacherPalooza sale!  With excitement, he purchased a Pokemon DS game.  He was all smiles :)  Our last stop...Kohl's.  Braydon found a pair of Adidas sliders and black socks that he has been wanting since church camp.  He saw many of the counselors wearing these and he pointed them out to me several times throughout the week.  Too funny!  These counselors impacted Braydon in more ways than one this summer!  Yes, Braydon looked up to them in fashion and their "coolness" but these counselors changed my son's life forever...truly forever!  Braydon gave his heart to Jesus this year and accepted Jesus as his forever friend.  Therefore, I am certain that he will be able to conquer this transition of a new school :)

We were the last customers to leave the store at 11pm...we shopped till will dropped...seriously!  Braydon was SO nervous that we were going to be locked inside of Kohl's for the evening...he was cracking me up!  As we were getting into the van, Braydon says, "Well, that was exciting!"  I thought he was being sarcastic about our late encounter with Kohl's and I asked what he meant.  His response..."Everything...Everything was exciting.  I had fun tonight mom.  Thanks!"  Wowsers...you are welcome, Braydon.  I too had fun...I love you...I'm praying for your first day of school...I'm praying for the teachers and the students that you will encounter throughout the day...I am proud of the young man that you are all too quickly becoming...



No comments:

Post a Comment